Thursday, August 25, 2005

Lite Blogging.......

I'm taking a few days off from the Blog. My grandfather, 80, is down here visiting from IL and he had a slight stroke on Tuesday. He's fine now. Well he was fine about 30 mins after it all happened but he's still at the hospital getting a myriad of tests run to find out how to prevent another stroke or something worse.

The stroke happened Tue. night about 5:30 while I was over at my parents house while I was standing there talking to him. It wasn't a chest clinching attack like you see in the movies and I wasn't really sure what was going on at first, I've never seen a stroke before.

I was just talking to him getting ready to leave and I asked him a question about going out to dinner the next night and he just started mumbling about the pool (we were out on the patio and my dad was cleaning the pool at the time) and he speech got really slurred and mumbled. I motioned to my dad to come over and talk to him and we both saw something was wrong so we jumped in the car and were off to the hospital. It was faster to drive ourselves than to call an ambulance.

We've been worried about him for a while, his left carotid artery has been blocked 100% for about 2 years and his right side isn't fully open but works OK.

He had a spell kind of like this a few months ago. He and my younger cousin were coming out of Wendy's and my grandfather didn't know where he was and couldn't figure out what he was supposed to do with the car keys he was holding in his hand. (He was just about to unlock the car door.)

And then we find out Tue. night while we're in the emergency room that he had a small spell like this last week while he was watching a movie at my uncle's house up in Georgia BUT DIDN'T TELL ANYONE!

Why do old people do things like that?

----------------

I may post a few things in the next few days but it probably going to be lite blogging.