Tuesday, April 26, 2005

"Thick as a Brick" Boxer.

47 . FILIBUSTER -- (Senate - April 25, 2005)

BOXER:

By the way, when I was in the Palestinian territories--this is another interesting part of my trip--the first thing the Palestinians said they want to do is make sure their people get a monthly social security benefit that is guaranteed. I truly wanted to ask the Minister there--I think he was the Minister of the Interior--to please contact President Bush and tell him that a guaranteed social security benefit was their first priority, as the President tries to undo the guaranteed benefit for Social Security. That trip I went on was fascinating in so many different ways. But mostly, what I realized was, we need to be the model of freedom and democracy. If we start taking away minority rights, if we start saying we cannot stand to hear each other--by the way, I understand it. I know it is painful to hear me speak for some of my colleagues who do not agree with me. They say: Oh, I can't listen to one more word. And I feel the same way when they start talking about things with which I fundamentally disagree.

-------------------------

And since the Pali economy is just BOOMING right now, where does Babs think this guaranteed money would come from?


I'll give you three guesses, and the first two don't count.