Thursday, February 17, 2005

Schumer can't own up to "up or down" vote quote on PBS

ON PBS'S NEWS HOUR (2-15-05)........

[Snip]

SEN. JEFF SESSIONS: I need to respond to that. First of all, judges came up under President Clinton that I objected to, but when a cloture motion was filed, every single time I voted for cloture to give them an up and down vote because I never believed they should be filibustered.

Sen. Schumer, on the other hand, when President Clinton was there said it made a mockery of the Constitution not to allow judges to have an up or down vote.

SEN. CHARLES SCHUMER: I didn't say that.

SEN. JEFF SESSIONS: Yes, you did, I've got the quote.

SEN. CHARLES SCHUMER: No.

[Snip]

Oh really Chucky?


NOMINATIONS OF RICHARD A. PAEZ AND MARSHA L. BERZON--Continued -- (Senate - March 07, 2000)

Mr. SCHUMER.: I also plead with my colleagues to move judges with alacrity--vote them up or down. But this delay makes a mockery of the Constitution , makes a mockery of the fact that we are here working, and makes a mockery of the lives of very sincere people who have put themselves forward to be judges and then they hang out there in limbo.